The Records and Assessment Department requires an appointment for Recording Documents or getting a Marriage License.
Please call 541-386-4522 to schedule an appointment.

Note: We are no longer processing passport applications.
Click here to schedule an appointment at the Dalles Post Office.


 Hood River County
Department of Records and Assessment

The Department of Records and Assessment provides the following services under the guidance of state and federal laws:

  • Record and archive such records as deeds, mortgages, contracts, and tax liens.
  • Issue Marriage Licenses.
  • Register Declarations of Domestic Partnerships.
  • Accept and process voter registrations.
  • Conduct local, state and federal elections (See Seperate Elections Page).
  • Appraise real property, personal property and manufactured structures for taxation.
  • Calculate tax rates under the provisions of Measure 5 and Measure 50 limitations.
  • Apply tax rates to the taxable assessed value which results in taxes collected for local taxing districts.
  • Provide information and process appeals of real market value and assessed value.



The Hood River County Department of Records and Assessment is Not the Tax Collector for Hood River County. 

Hood River County Tax Collection Home Page

Click to Check Tax Balances Online   


Brian D. Beebe - Director/Assessor/Clerk
Kelly Magaña - Deputy County Clerk 
Margaret Maldonado - Deputy County Assessor

Related Links:
Manufactured Home Ownership and Trip Permits
Oregon Secretary of State Election Division
Oregon Department of Revenue
ORMAP State Map
Oregon Vital Records
U.S. Department of State
Tax Court and Magistrate Court


Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the cost to record a deed?
To record deeds, mortgages and most property records costs $115 for the first page, plus $5 for each additional page. Checks may be made payable to Hood River County. Our mailing address is Hood River County Records, 601 State Street, Hood River, OR 97031-1871. If you are not familiar with document recording in Hood River County, we suggest you call us at 541-386-1442 to discuss fees and requirements.

How do I register a Declaration of Domestic Partnership?
You may register a Declaration of Domestic Partnership with this office. The form should be completed electronically and printed in black ink on 8-1/2 x 14 size paper. Signatures on the form must be notarized. Cost for filing the declaration is $50.00. Please see Oregon Vital Records to obtain a form and for additional information.

How do I register to vote?
To register to vote in Hood River County, you must be a US citizen, at least 16 years of age and a county resident. Voter registration forms are available at the Post Office, Department of Motor Vehicles, and our office. You may also visit the Oregon Secretary of State website.

How do I find out information on a certain piece of property?
To obtain information that can be retrieved from our computer you may call 541 386-4522. If map or deed research is needed, that information may be obtained by visiting our office at the County Business Administration Building

How do I appeal my taxes?

In Oregon, property owners may appeal real market and assessed value but not taxes. The first step in the appeal process is to the Board of Property Tax Appeals (BOPTA). Petitions may be filed with the Board beginning in October when tax statements are received through December 31. There is a $40 filing fee at the BOPTA level. The next level of appeal is at the Magistrate Division of Oregon Tax Court. Petitions may be filed at this level at any time but may not always be heard. There is a $50 fee to file with the Magistrate Division. The next level after Magistrate is the Oregon Tax Court itself, which requires a $281 filing fee. Additional information regarding appeal procedures may be obtained by calling 541-386-4522.


How do I update my address for tax statements?

You will need to download the address form, print it out, complete the change and sign it. You may return it to our office via email at, mail it to Records & Assessment, 601 State St, Hood River Oregon 97031 or bring it to our office.  Access the Change of Address form here  AddressForm.xls (

Last updated 3/7/2024 11:23:22 AM